LinkedIn vs. LSF

Please post any ideas and suggestions you may have which will help improve this forum.
hypsometric
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Arash Yaghoubi
Company Details: Hypsometric
Company Position Title: Director of Cartography
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: LinkedIn vs. LSF

Post by hypsometric »

I would buy this shirt... who else is in?

We could have our usernames on the back like LAN party geeks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Consultant
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by jcoco3 »

:D Where do I send money?
hypsometric
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Arash Yaghoubi
Company Details: Hypsometric
Company Position Title: Director of Cartography

Post by hypsometric »

we need LSF buy in...
Jason Warren
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Jason Warren
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Company Position Title: Co-Founder
Skype Name: jason_warren

Post by Jason Warren »

hypsometric wrote: Fri May 02, 2014 3:48 am I would buy this shirt... who else is in?

We could have our usernames on the back like LAN party geeks.

Cant believe I`ve missed this topic...makes me wonder how many more quality posts I`ve missed.. :lol:
Jason Warren
Co_Founder

Dedicated to 3D Laser Scanning
LaserScanningForum
James Hall
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James E Hall
Company Details: Dewberry Engineering Inc
Company Position Title: Survey Technician - Cyclone Modeler

Post by James Hall »

Hell yes I would buy a shirt.

On the main topic.
For years I have avoided LinkedIn for privacy reasons.
The only real lack LSF has when compared to LinkedIn is social networking and recruitment.
LinkedIn technical discussions, how to and help content on its boards doesn't impress me.
vislaw
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mark Johnson
Company Details: Visual Law Group
Company Position Title: Principal and Chief Creative Officer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by vislaw »

I'm in for two shirts.

I appreciate the number of talented ass clowns that hang out here.
stutosney
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stuart Tosney
Company Details: ---
Company Position Title: Associate Director - Survey

Post by stutosney »

I view them as two completely different entities entirely. I see LinkedIn as a business and networking tool, great for connecting with people in a formal manner as well as companies and also for recruitment. LSF, I see as a professional education site where I can come to learn as well as (hopefully) share the knowledge I've gained over the years. I also like the community feel of LSF, recognising most posters by name and/or face. I have been a member on here for years (had to rejoin up with a different email at one point!) and have always found it a great source of information. Plus, LinkedIn gets a lot of rubbish posted these days and is becoming more Facebook-y!
3DForensics
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Eugene Liscio
Company Details: AI2-3D Forensics
Skype Name: eliscio

Post by 3DForensics »

I don't think you will find as much help or dedicated people on LinkedIn. That's not to say that they aren't out there, but this forum has a lot of history and a lot of people who have contributed to helping others and I have learned a ton from reading posts here!

Cheers!
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Consultant

Post by jcoco3 »

Might just be me, but I sometimes find the socialization/networking agenda of LinkedIn a burden. It has its place, but it kind-of gets in the way sometimes. I frequently choose to come here to collaborate and learn, because we don't have to know each other much less like each other to work on an idea together. Not that I haven't made many wonderful friends here on LSF, and most of those came out of a collaborative effort that I find has more value than one chosen from an algorithm's suggestion.

This place just seems more selfless and logical, with most members making their contributions and helping each other without thinking about the effect on their status/rank/popularity. Of course, I could be projecting those admirable qualities on to the members here, but after eight years of being here I don't think I am being overly biased in their favour.

I can appreciate what LinkedIn has to offer as a different tool for career advancement, but here we can focus on the things that advance the industry and the community as a whole with greater ease...my two cents :)

A forum is a place, situation, or group in which people exchange ideas and discuss issues, especially important public issues. The organisation would provide a forum where problems could be discussed. In ancient Roman towns, the forum was a square where people met to discuss business and political matters.
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dicti ... lish/forum

About LinkedIn
Welcome to LinkedIn, the world's largest professional network with nearly 675+ million users in more than 200 countries and territories worldwide.

Vision
Create economic opportunity for every member of the global workforce.

Mission
The mission of LinkedIn is simple: connect the world’s professionals to make them more productive and successful.
https://about.linkedin.com/?trk=homepag ... y_aboutUrl

...and just in cased you missed LSF's home & about us pages :lol:
Welcome To The Laser Scanning Forum

The Laser Scanning Forum has become a beacon for the technology and attracts members from all over the world to discuss the topic of 3D scanning and all it has to offer.

Even when first introduced, all the major benefits of this technology were immediately apparent to the surveying industry. Surveyors were instantly impressed with the speed at which the equipment captured 3D data. Complex 3D environments are captured faster than alternative techniques.

The potential of 3D scanning for saving time and money together with its ability to enhance the design process and reduce data collection errors makes it an attractive alternative to traditional data collection techniques. This latest technology offers many great advantages over traditional surveying methods.

Our Future Aims And Objectives

Our mission is to become the worlds leading knowledge hub for 3D scanning, point-cloud processing and there applications to education, science, research, industry, commerce and the public service.

As an organisation, its our mission to inform and educate our members and the public. We support networking between the university, business and government sectors.

About Us

The Laser Scanning Forum was created in 2007 to help promote the 3D Laser Scanning community and to evolve the technology. The website is growing daily with thousands of professional registered members from all over the World. We are keen to promote the forum as a knowledge base for everyone.

The LSF World Wide Trade Locator operates for those seeking to hire a laser scanner or a laser scanning service company, anywhere in the world. Free to use and register. See: https://www.laserscanningforum.com/locator.php
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

I use and like both this forum and LinkedIn and regularly direct my LinkedIn contacts here when they're looking for laser scanning expertise that comes from experienced users rather than sales folk. I find LinkedIn to be a great marketing tool and a good way to keep in touch with a lot of my contacts from the survey industry, some of whom don't use scanning. LSF is much more focused, less noisy and more relaxed. In my opinion it is a fantastic resource for this industry and also a pleasant place to hang out.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module

Return to “Forum Suggestions”