V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Massimo De Marchi
Company Details: Massimo De Marchi
Company Position Title: freelancer
Skype Name: massimo_de_marchi

meshing and mesh editing software

Post by max72 »

I would like your suggestion regarding software to perform a series of meshing tasks.
It needn't to be a single software. Only I'm testing around and the more I search the more I'm confused...
Besides that an idea of how time consuming the task is would be welcome....
I would like to be able to mesh a point cloud, fix the mesh, and split it in parts for a successive rendering.
While there are many meshers I found the first task extremely frustrating and time consuming. I didn't test geomagic, which looks like the reference, but tested gom inspect, meshlab, vrmesh, reshaper, rhino, and probably some more. The resulting meshes are usually far from perfect, and require a lot of time to create a continuous surface, that is usually not really satisfactory (maybe I'm not good enough with the software or too picky...). Moreover the time required is many times the one required to have a nicely registered point cloud.
The mesh splitting while possible is another extremely time consuming task. I have to manually select the cut line and split the mesh. I wonder if there is a software that can automagically split the mesh in some situations... Let's say I have a sharp angle (the sides of a room, or the separation between a paint and the frame). Is there a smart way to split the mesh along this line? The closer solution I found is GOM, but the function is not created for this task, and obviously shows some limitations....
Maybe I'm tackling the problem form the wrong side... I would appreciate your insight.
Massimo
ing. Massimo De Marchi - +39 347 32 17 049 - www.studiodemarchi.net
Matt Young
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matt Young
Company Details: Baker Hicks
Company Position Title: CAD-BIM Lead
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: meshing and mesh editing software

Post by Matt Young »

Once you have your mesh generated you could try something like Z-Brush to edit the mesh and split it into parts (Separate parts are called sub-tools in Z-Brush) - Z-Brush is a very powerful mesh editing tool among many other things.
If you don't see that there is nothing, then you are kidding yourself.
max72
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Massimo De Marchi
Company Details: Massimo De Marchi
Company Position Title: freelancer
Skype Name: massimo_de_marchi

Re: meshing and mesh editing software

Post by max72 »

Thanks.
I tried Mudbox, Meshmixer, and Sculptris with a test raw/open mesh.
The only one that didn't crash is Meshmixer, and I can split the mesh. For sure it requires a lot of post processing work...

Massimo
ing. Massimo De Marchi - +39 347 32 17 049 - www.studiodemarchi.net

Return to “Meshing Software”