I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Jose Ramilo
Company Details: Urban Surveys
Company Position Title: Laser Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: meshing 11k sqm area

Post by joseramilo »

jamesworrell wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:46 am Take a squiz at ContextCapture while you are it .. might take a while, but the mesh is pretty good - also produces scaleable meshes ..

And if you fly it/photograph it - you can merge the data sets ..

11km2 is not messing around - so that is probably something you would throw at their "Centre" edition - basically a node-based processing option - multiple nodes all pulling tiles to process off the queue ..

You can rent it .. by the month .. whatever .. depending on if it is a one-off project.
Hi James,

We were very pleased with the end result from CC and have decided to go with. We're looking at setting up a machine and we're wondering if an AMD Threadripper processor would work great with it.
jamesworrell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Worrell
Company Details: Bennett and Francis
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: meshing 11k sqm area

Post by jamesworrell »

We run it on a variety of hardware .. it runs on fairly reasonable hardware - just might take longer. The tiling allows you to put it through pretty much anything with a GPU.

In the field, to validate acquisitions, we have Alienware R17's with 1080 GPU's .. same runs in the office naturally .. but in the office we also have VM's on Windows Server 2016 with direct access to M60 grid cards - so we can tweak cores and RAM as we want.

The aero-triangulation process is mostly CPU - but not that much in the overall scheme of things .. reconstruction is a mix of GPU and CPU.

A threadripper (I assume - we are all Intel) and 1080Ti with 64GB of RAM a bit of SSD .. you will be away .. the scale-ability is designed around the nodes - so either multiple desktop editions - merging productions, or Centre ($$'s).

The new "ignore photos for geometry" option - with photos baked onto point cloud mesh works well .. LAS and POD back out - I've suggested E57 with "virtual" scanners .. so who knows - might show up in due course - for a complete point cloud in-out workflow.

Return to “Meshing Software”