Alex@Marcum
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Alex McKinney
Company Details: Marcum Engineering
Company Position Title: Marcum Engineering

Interesting Client Request

Post by Alex@Marcum »

Yesterday we gave a presentation to a potential client on laser scanning. It went well however after showing them our modeling process in PointSense they decided they are not needing beam sizes or any intelligent modelling they are just wanting a “blob” as they described it of what is out in the field to reference. I think they are wanting this instead of a traditional model due to the cost of modeling in PointSense. I’m thinking maybe a mesh is the closest thing to what they are asking for however the structure we are looking at doing is a three story wash tower and I’m not sure how well that will mesh. Have you guys ever run into a situation like this before?
Oliver Buerkler
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Oliver Buerkler
Company Details: FARO Europe GmbH
Company Position Title: Director of Laser Scanning
Skype Name: oliver_buerkler
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Interesting Client Request

Post by Oliver Buerkler »

Hi Alex.

What would be the application your client would like to pursue?
And what would be the target system?

Best regards,
Oliver Bürkler
Oliver Bürkler
Director of Laser Scanning
FARO Europe GmbH
[email protected]
[email protected]

Twitter: FARO_LS_PM
Alex@Marcum
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by Alex@Marcum »

The end result for the client would be a very generic model/mesh of this structure. They do not want to pay for the detail PointSense provides because they are just wanting to make sure they avoid clashing with the current structure. I'm not even sure if something more generic is possible but I thought I would post to get some ideas on how to best suit this client. They are currently using Autodesk Inventor for their CAD needs which is a whole other situation. I'm unfamiliar with how Inventor works with Point Clouds and models from modelling software. I thought that Inventor was more manufacturing based like SolidWorks is.
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Scott »

Alex@Marcum wrote:Yesterday we gave a presentation to a potential client on laser scanning. It went well however after showing them our modeling process in PointSense they decided they are not needing beam sizes or any intelligent modelling they are just wanting a “blob” as they described it of what is out in the field to reference. I think they are wanting this instead of a traditional model due to the cost of modeling in PointSense. I’m thinking maybe a mesh is the closest thing to what they are asking for however the structure we are looking at doing is a three story wash tower and I’m not sure how well that will mesh. Have you guys ever run into a situation like this before?
Use the point cloud wisely, and isolate the most important elements to be investigated from the rest of the building. Use the clipping box for 2D section/elevations, create call-outs (annotations) as needed. The point cloud is a great scaffold to built from. It's often wise to build a solid model for the construction documents, but 2D works too -be smart about the deliverables. People want to spend money on actual construction, not on plans and digital files -so give them the most accurate information to make this possible. ~S
chris_e
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Chris El-Araj
Company Details: Underhill Geomatics Ltd
Company Position Title: Director

Post by chris_e »

On some projects, and depending on the target software of the client, we have segmented the point cloud for client use into logical pieces, such as floors, walls, piping etc. They were then able to clash in Revit or Navisworks with these point cloud segments.

Also, check out Pointfuse, from Arithemtica, their new version 2.0 is set to come out shortly and can boil down a point cloud into a much lighter model for general use. We haven't used it, but are looking into doing similar to what you describe.

Best regards,

Chris
C. R. El-Araj, BCLS,

www.underhill.ca
TommyMaddox
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tommy R Maddox III
Company Details: ONSITE3D
Company Position Title: Director of Technology

Post by TommyMaddox »

You can use InfiPoints to automatically extract pipes/planes, and then convert selected pointcloud sections or the entire pointcloud into a mesh. You can edit it in another program if desired, and reimport and realign it to the pointcloud. You can also perform dynamically dragged or path-based collision checks with imported CAD or mesh objects. The collision checks require only the pointcloud to be loaded so you wouldn't even need to mesh the environment to perform the collision checking.
Bill-Wallace
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bill Wallace
Company Details: Leica Geosystems
Company Position Title: HDS Sr. Software Product Manager

Post by Bill-Wallace »

I wonder if Inventor can push models to NavisWorks. If so, they can clash against the cloud with no mesh at all using the point cloud alone in CloudWorx for NavisWorks. I think for clashing, routing, placement, removal studies, etc. where you just need volumes of existing structure, etc. then just using the cloud is the fastest way, no meshing needed. Just need to figure out where the cloud and the model can live together.

We don't have a CloudWork for Inventor and I am aware of anyone else who has cloud capabilities for Inventor (can it read Recap data?) but all the mechanical systems like Inventor, SolidWorks, ProE are on lots of peoples lists for possible cloud apps.
Alex@Marcum
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by Alex@Marcum »

Thank you guys for the responses I will definitely have to look into PointFuse and Infipoints. I have downloaded a trial of Inventor to determine what it can and can't do and it is actually able to insert a point cloud but it has to be a .rcp. I however haven't figured out what all can be done with the point cloud after that.
richard_m
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Richard Merrin
Company Details: Fugro
Company Position Title: Data Processor _ Project Engineer

Post by richard_m »

LFM is an excellent tool for clashing in a raw pointcloud, however its a bit of a learning curve - possibly for your client in particular.

Richard
max72
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Massimo De Marchi
Company Details: Massimo De Marchi
Company Position Title: freelancer
Skype Name: massimo_de_marchi

Post by max72 »

Last time I tested Inventor was 2015. Anyhow while it handled rcp file format, the support was very limited (at least with respect with other tools and what I was expecting).
On the other hand if you want to stick with Autodesk I saw a demo video of navisworks manage (mind is the manage version, not the simulate), where it could perform clash detection on the cloud.
In this case (according to the promo video) you simply take the "raw" cloud, insert the new parts, and check for interference, without modeling the existing part.
Massimo
ing. Massimo De Marchi - +39 347 32 17 049 - www.studiodemarchi.net

Return to “Meshing Software”