I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Andrzej Namyslak
Company Details: Jersey City NJ
Company Position Title: Not applicable
Linkedin Profile: No

Wall deformation analysis workflow

Post by anamyslak »

Can someone point me in the right direction on how to derive wall deformation deviations using Cyclone? I tried creating mesh, TIN and sample grid from active TIN at defined intervals but that didn't give satisfying results. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
ChrisJPalmer
I have made 100> posts
I have made 100> posts
Full Name: Chris Palmer
Company Details: FARO Technologies
Company Position Title: 3D Documentation Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Wall deformation analysis workflow

Post by ChrisJPalmer »

I'm assuming you obviously have a scan of the wall in it's original state and then at a second later period in time.

I would try getting both scans into the same co-ordinate system, set the active ref plane behind the face of the wall, create a TIN mesh of each, Go to tools / Measure / Surface Deviation.....create points at suitable intervals for the accuracy / complexity of the mesh you are trying to achieve. Then select the newly create points and create a TIN of those to give you a DTM of the surface deviation with colours referenced to the active reference plane. If that is no good I would probably try GeoMagic.
Phill
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Phillip Nixon
Company Details: SKM
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by Phill »

Hey

Check this post as well to save me some explaining. If you are only doing one scan and its deviations set your coordinate system to the wall, change the up direction to the appropriate axis and colour by elevation. If you have 2 scans take two images and compare the 2 using arc.

http://www.laserscanningforum.com/forum ... eformation

Cheers

Phill
mariusP
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Marius Putrimas
Company Details: Terra Modus
Company Position Title: Undet product manager

Post by mariusP »

http://www.laserscanningforum.com/forum ... =56&t=5441

If you are using AutoCAD you can try this one ;)
Undet Point Cloud Software provides software solutions for AutoCAD, ARES Commander, Revit, and SketchUp point cloud users to save time, increase efficiency, and reduce errors in creating 3D models and 2D drawings.

:arrow: www.undet.com
Phil Marsh
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Phil Marsh
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Company Position Title: Director
Skype Name: phil.h.marsh

Post by Phil Marsh »

I would use something like 3DReshaper or Geomagic as these program's can mesh in full 3D and not just the Z direction.
LASER SCANNING FORUM
[email protected]
dlague
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Dimitri Lague
Company Details: CNRS - Rennes University - France
Company Position Title: Junior Researcher

Post by dlague »

you could use cloudcompare (free and far better for this task than Cyclone) : mesh one of your survey (the first one), and then do a point to mesh comparison. Fastest way to get relatively good results and visualisation.

And for extreme accuracy, it's better not to mesh the data at all but use directly the point clouds (no loss of precision). We have developped a software that do so and also give you confidence intervals for each point according to the registration error and the roughness of the point cloud (which might come from scanner noise or actual wall roughness). There's no visual interface, it's command line (we use Cloudcompare for visualizing the results). I'm long overdue on the tutorial and manual (should be out before the end of september), but you can try it yourselft as it's free and relatively simple. Check my website: http://www.geosciences.univ-rennes1.fr/ ... 25&lang=fr and go down to M3C2 and download the point cloud comparison package.zip.

A quick overview of the algorithm applied to a complex case is given here:
http://nicolas.brodu.net/en/recherche/m3c2/index.html

Basically:
. you make sure that your two surveys are registered together as accurately as possible.
. you export the two points clouds corresponding to the two surveys in .xyz
. you run the batch file using the M3C2 algorithm (no mesh, no grid, works in 3D)
. you display your results in Cloudcompare... and voila

If you're interested I can give you the parameters you should use depending on your scan resolution and wall size as your case is straightforward.
laserg
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: MBXLP DDAIFN
Company Details: HK PolyU
Company Position Title: Studnet

Post by laserg »

dlague wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:26 pm you could use cloudcompare (free and far better for this task than Cyclone) : mesh one of your survey (the first one), and then do a point to mesh comparison. Fastest way to get relatively good results and visualisation.

And for extreme accuracy, it's better not to mesh the data at all but use directly the point clouds (no loss of precision). We have developped a software that do so and also give you confidence intervals for each point according to the registration error and the roughness of the point cloud (which might come from scanner noise or actual wall roughness). There's no visual interface, it's command line (we use Cloudcompare for visualizing the results). I'm long overdue on the tutorial and manual (should be out before the end of september), but you can try it yourselft as it's free and relatively simple. Check my website: http://www.geosciences.univ-rennes1.fr/ ... 25&lang=fr and go down to M3C2 and download the point cloud comparison package.zip.

A quick overview of the algorithm applied to a complex case is given here:
http://nicolas.brodu.net/en/recherche/m3c2/index.html

Basically:
. you make sure that your two surveys are registered together as accurately as possible.
. you export the two points clouds corresponding to the two surveys in .xyz
. you run the batch file using the M3C2 algorithm (no mesh, no grid, works in 3D)
. you display your results in Cloudcompare... and voila

If you're interested I can give you the parameters you should use depending on your scan resolution and wall size as your case is straightforward.
Could you repost the command line?

Return to “Deformation Analysis Software”