I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Annette Brown
Company Details: 3D Engineers and Scan Expert
Company Position Title: Business Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Health issues with 3D printing?

Post by 3D Engineers »

The Daily Mail - for those outside the UK a newspaper that is popular but prone to hyperbole - reports that there is a risk to health from airborne particles created by 3D printers. http://tinyurl.com/o3dlaxy

I have more interest than most in this, in that there has been a cluster of asbestos related deaths in my family caused by handling the material in the day when you could rock up to the 50's equivalent of B&Q and buy sheets of it with no health warning. I know 3D printers do not use asbestos, this is by way of comparison of knowledge and times.

Have been to 3D printing firm's where the material is swept up (creating dust) and shovelled around within the machine (creating dust). No extraction system present or precautions taken.

It does worry me that there might be health problems in the future? Does anyone have more info regarding the risk or otherwise of the 3D printing process and materials used? The article mentions that people using 3D printers commercially may be required to where protective clothing, but I have not seen this.
Matt Young
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matt Young
Company Details: Baker Hicks
Company Position Title: CAD-BIM Lead
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Health issues with 3D printing?

Post by Matt Young »

I would say that it pays to be on the safe side. It should be no trouble to wear a protective mask while using these materials. Don't wait for a board to review it and give an answer, just wear a mask in case.
If you don't see that there is nothing, then you are kidding yourself.
SteveBury
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Bury
Company Details: Bury Associates Limited
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by SteveBury »

You're probably more at risk from reading the Daily Mail than anything. If you type the words 'daily mail health risk' into Google you'll find a host of other gems from the health risks associated with wearing a bra to how drinking too much tea will give you cancer. It's just a load of badly manipulated statistics posing as poor journalism. The biggest risk from 3d printing will probably be if someone with a bad grudge against you gets hold of that pattern to print off a working gun and comes looking for you - something else the Daily Mail was obsessed with recently!
Matt Young
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matt Young
Company Details: Baker Hicks
Company Position Title: CAD-BIM Lead
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Matt Young »

Yep see what you mean about the daily mail...

But still, If I smell burning plastic then I would put a mask on, no matter what I read and where I read it.
If you don't see that there is nothing, then you are kidding yourself.

Return to “3D Printing”