Aerial Lidar in Microstation

Discuss all your Aerial Lidar topics here including, Aeroplane, Helicopter & UAV
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Consultant
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Aerial Lidar in Microstation

Post by jcoco3 »

So this past weekend I was trying to produce another Lidar map for one of my relatives who has some farm land here in Louisiana. In the past I have used ARCgis to import either edited points or a DEM from the lidar archive hosted by Louisiana State University. I had a random thought to try out the data in Microstation, which I am sure other people have been doing for years, I just have never seen it before. The raw data still has the Trees which is kind of neat. The results were beautiful and I think it will provide us with a very useful tool to use in the future:
EditedPointsmapblack.PNG
raw.PNG
RAW with trees.PNG
RAW with trees2.PNG
RAW with trees3.PNG
Oh, I forgot to also say thanks for adding this new Section :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lidguru
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Gurudatta
Company Details: Egis-Geoplan Pvt. Ltd
Company Position Title: Project Manager - LiDAR
Skype Name: lidar.guru

Re: Aerial Lidar in Microstation

Post by lidguru »

Dear Jonathan Coco,

Thanks for sharing the snaps, you could visualize the LiDAR data in Microstation directly or you used the add-on modules such as TerraSolid?

Gurudatta.
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jcoco3 »

I converted the xyz to pod and used the point cloud presentation styles in Microstation, but sounds like I need to check out TerraSolid. Thanks for the information.
Oatfedgoat
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matthew McCarter
Company Details: Costain
Company Position Title: BIM Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by Oatfedgoat »

Jonathan, I would also add it is worth having a play in Descartes SS4 with the STM (Scalable Terrain Model) functions.
Of course, Descartes also comes with a lot of cool tools for using with more traditional terrestrial laser scan data too.
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jcoco3 »

Matthew,

I used something similar to Descartes STM once before in Power Inroads(DTM). I am not sure what the real difference is, but the results are pretty good in Descartes. We have been using Descartes in trial mode, and it is quite impressive. I think it is probably the best tool out there for modeling strange objects that the "canned" modeling tools can't handle. It also does a great job with the repetitive task. I can't wait until we actually own a copy. Here are the results of our STM test on raw Lidar in Descartes:
Descartes STM Color.PNG
We aligned the color image manually, but we are trying to figure out how to automate the process. Using the Google Earth sync tool doesn't seem to give us the desired results since the image is referenced in as a black and white mesh of the image...I am guessing there is a better way we just don't know it yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tbwester
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Thad Wester
Company Details: Clarity Scanning
Company Position Title: President

Post by tbwester »

Jonathan,
You mentioned arcgis, have you tried arc scene. Thats probably the easiest way to create an ortho-colored DTM from a 3d view, but of course, arc has it's limitations with lidar - as you probably know.

I attached a picture from arc scene (excuse the colored dots, I was experimenting with a tree finding algorithm)
Oatfedgoat
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matthew McCarter
Company Details: Costain
Company Position Title: BIM Manager

Post by Oatfedgoat »

jcoco3 wrote:Matthew,

I used something similar to Descartes STM once before in Power Inroads(DTM). I am not sure what the real difference is, but the results are pretty good in Descartes.
I believe the main difference with the STM compared to what you played with in InRoads is the dynamic display changes on screen to make working with a massive data set more manageble.

This topic has reminded me of Descartes STM feature which should come in handy with a set of data I am expecting to recieve soon.
If I get a chance I shall share any results I find.
adamsteer
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Adam Steer
Company Details: UTAS
Company Position Title: graduate student

Post by adamsteer »

Hi all
just another +1 for bentley as a LiDAR/point cloud platform. It has some great features with regard to picking out bits of point clouds and operating on them, and can handle lots of formats (eg ASCII xyz files, ISPRS .las, ...). I'm currently building a 3D point cloud+CAD drawings model in Descartes, so far so good.

I also use Terrasolid for calibrating an airborne LiDAR system. If you're mixing your own airborne LiDAR files from scanner + trajectory data, Terrasolid is excellent for finding boresight misalignment and other calibration (range/intensity) parameters. If imagery is involved the Terraphoto plugin also helps account for camera boresight misalignment and LiDAR coregistration. But I'm just learning this part!

..and apologies if everyone knew all that, it just seemed like the role of bentley point cloud operations and terrasolid was not clear.

Hope its helped!
Adam
MarcusM
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Marcus Margot
Company Details: Initio Africa
Company Position Title: Marketing
Skype Name: marcusmargot

Post by MarcusM »

As a Lidar processing package I would look no further than Terra Solid, it also has great editing tools and classification macros are really easy to write, 3D city models are also quick and painless :D
I have many really good classification macos if interested.

Regards
Marcus

Return to “Aerial Lidar”