Importing a recap model to a Revit project

Discuss Autodesk ReCap Studio software here.
bobbyf90
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Bobby Fenttiman
Company Details: Private
Company Position Title: Revit operator Trainee
Linkedin Profile: No

Importing a recap model to a Revit project

Post by bobbyf90 »

Hi I'm really new to all this and my work has asked me to figure out how to georeference our point cloud of a existing building floor into a proposed finished Revit drawing of the same floor. I have tried many things and watched all the videos but I am struggling with my inexperience.

So far I can insert via origin to origin by changing the origin of the point cloud to a visible corner of the point cloud and moving the shared project base point to the same corner of the Revit drawing but it is slightly off and they have requested I do shared coordinates for accuracy.

I understand I need to extract 4/5 coordinates from Revit and import them into the point cloud by creating survey points visually on corners where I got my coordinates from on Revit and then typing in the coordinates I got from the spot coordinates tool, but I get stuck where the Revit coordinates is shown in North and East values and recap uses xyz. Also the survey points seems glitchy when trying to type in the coordinates.

I appreciate any help.
DTND
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Datt Nguyen
Company Details: DTN Pty Ltd
Company Position Title: Technical Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Importing a recap model to a Revit project

Post by DTND »

We have never tried to geo reference point clouds within a Revit project. Not saying that you can't, but what is your purpose for this?

We usually have control points per floor in a scan (usually a lift core or stair well/precast walls or columns) & match/move the point cloud to the Revit model equivalent. That is probably the quickest way to align a point cloud in the model, as everything in the point cloud will not be perfect & Revit will expect things to be perfect.

Also scanning within buildings & underground sometimes does not lead to GPS coordinates working nicely.

If you are going down shared coordinates path, you must ensure that the Revit project has been correctly set up with survey points & project base points for it to remotely work.
'Revit lives in the land of perfect and doesn't understand what construction is..' Wise Draftsman

www.dtndesign.com.au
james.still
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Still
Company Details: BIM Technical Manager
Company Position Title: BIM Technical Manager

Post by james.still »

hi what version of revit are you using?

also how is the current project coordinates setup?
bobbyf90
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Bobby Fenttiman
Company Details: Private
Company Position Title: Revit operator Trainee
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by bobbyf90 »

Hello thank you for your replies. We have managed to figure this out in the office, we extract 3-5 coordinates from the architecture model of Revit using report shared coordinates tools. Then go into recap registration mode and create a survey target from the exact visual location as we extraced from Revit (structural coloumns). As long as the elevation is correct this seems to be our best bet at the moment. We also had to convert our coordinates to use in recap by reversing the X & Y and placing decimal point 3 times to the left to convert to meters.
DanielNMP87
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Daniel Neagu
Company Details: XYZ
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by DanielNMP87 »

Did you try black and white targets when you scan? if you georeference (GPS) with the b/w you could simply share the coordinates with your revit team, if you don't georeference you could still extract coordinates from the targets (local) and match the revit model.

Return to “Autodesk ReCap Studio”