I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Michael McCormick
Company Details: Scientific Analysis Inc
Company Position Title: Senior Technician
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Viewport Gamma

Post by mikemccr »

Hello All,

I'm wondering if there is a trick to adjusting the brightness of my point clouds in Max's viewports without also effecting any model model geometry in my scene?

The RGB color in our point clouds often comes into Max very dark. This can be corrected by adjusting the gamma setting found in the Preferences/Gamma and LUT tab. This works great if the scene consists only of point cloud data, but when you hybridize your project with other traditional models, those models have a very light and "washed out" appearance. This effects both the viewports and rendered images if the gamma value approaches, or goes above, about 2.

Is there a way to have my cake and eat it too?

If the solution doesn't exist in Max or C2M, perhaps there's a workaround?
Typically, our cloud data is exported as a .pts file from Cyclone or Faro Scene before importing with C2M. Might there be a tool out there that will reprocess the .pts file and adjust the RGB values to bump up the brightness before its imported into C2M?

Much thanks!
Mike
vincent denis
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Vincent Denis
Company Details: GEOMESURE
Company Position Title: Technical Sales Engineer

Re: Viewport Gamma

Post by vincent denis »

Hi Mike

The best way for me in this case is to use CloudCompare. With it you can modify the RGB value : http://www.danielgm.net/cc/

If it's to modelise with 3dsMax, i use the Normal view of Recap. It's very powerfull, and makes it possible to highlight the details.

Let me know if this solution succed.

Vincent
mikemccr
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Michael McCormick
Company Details: Scientific Analysis Inc
Company Position Title: Senior Technician

Re: Viewport Gamma

Post by mikemccr »

Thank you Vincent. I have both of those programs already, so I'll give Cloud Compare a try first. Hopefully I'll get a chance to check it out later this afternoon and will be sure to let you know how it goes.

Return to “Clouds2Max”