Cut Fill Volume

Discuss Leica Cyclone 3DR software here.
b_clive
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter
Full Name: Clive Bugeja
Company Details: ARC International Surveyors Ltd.
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Cut Fill Volume

Post by b_clive »

Dear all,

How can I have a more precise volume calculation? since every time I use this method to calculate a volume, it gives me an alert that the volumes are approximate.

Attaching a 3dr file and a video.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pIb5Z0 ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S3V-ob ... sp=sharing
Nicolas L
I have made 100> posts
I have made 100> posts
Full Name: Nicolas LANDRIVON
Company Details: Technodigit
Company Position Title: Sales and Support
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Cut Fill Volume

Post by Nicolas L »

Hello

Cut and Fill

Volumes are only calculated in areas where both surfaces used are covered. No volume will be computed where there is coverage by only one surface.

We close the volume from the contour projecting the triangles along the direction defined by the user (usually Z).

This can mainly happen for external borders and for holes. In such cases, a warning message tells you that the result should be interpreted as an approximation. You can edit the input meshes to fill unwanted holes and get similar external contours if you want to get more accurate results.

But once again, "approximation" does not mean that the result is not relevant. I think this is a question of acceptable tolerance or not. Even after smoothing the meshes, the volume may slightly varies.

Regards

Nicolas L
b_clive
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter
Full Name: Clive Bugeja
Company Details: ARC International Surveyors Ltd.
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by b_clive »

Hi Nicolas,

Thank you for your reply. So I managed to close the contours of each mesh and did a volume measurement instead of a Cut/Fill and I got more or less the same result. So you are saying that using a cut/fill measurement is always going to give you an approximate result, but one I can rely on.
Nicolas L
I have made 100> posts
I have made 100> posts
Full Name: Nicolas LANDRIVON
Company Details: Technodigit
Company Position Title: Sales and Support
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by Nicolas L »

Good morning

If the two meshes have the same external contours or clean contours and no hole, the result should be the same.
Do not hesitate to fill holes and edit the contours of the mesh if necessary. For example, if the border triangles of a mesh go back up or down.

I have attached a picture showing the cut and fill function on 2 meshes. On the right of the picture, you can see that if you use the normal direction, the 2 contours do not end at the same spot. There will be a warning message because one contour will be cut according to the direction selected by the user (automatic or normal).
If you choose Z, the contour are similar and no warning message will pop up.

Regards

Nicolas L
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Leica Cyclone 3DR”