3D Touch Mode - Useless!

Discuss all Cyclone 3DR related issues here.
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: 3D Touch Mode - Useless!

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

pburrows145 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:45 pm
Leandre Robitaille wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:59 am As much as I despise leica, some of the things they have done in this forum have been very constructive and apreciated.

They have much better overall support and community response that Faro does. We can't even request features and they have the most unhelpful responses on the forum (such as that...faro has as a trade secret about how c2c works)

....I mean excuse me Faro you have the worst c2c algorythm out there, nobody cares about your trade secret since your current solution is trash.

But Faro couldnt care less about me even if I spent over half a milion dollars on them.
Why despise anyone?

Again #bekind...

This forum is getting toxic... :(
Yep, despising is a bit harsh. There are other suppliers to choose from. It's like a car, if i don't like the toyota i'm driving now, i'm moving on to something else.

For me it's simple. I own a tx5 and had scene license but stopped renewing at version 6.2.2 because it didn't come up to what i want from a 1500 annual fee if i recall correctly.

But i moved on and bought something else (you know what ;-)). A lot of people i know do registering of scene data in reg360 or cyclone. Maybe look at that or TRW.

The scanners from Faro are good scanners, a bit slow but the sd-card functionality is great. Too bad for the software though.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
jsteinert
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: joshua steinert
Company Details: pb2 architecture + engineering
Company Position Title: Graphics Manager

Post by jsteinert »

I appreciate the environment this forum provides, and appreciate even more the contributions of very knowledgeable and experienced members, many who are commenting within this thread.
Even with negative comments we get a differential on learned lessons, changing procedures and technology really NEEDS a forum to cut thru salesman angles with differential experiences.
I feel this topic rudely challenges a use case of Touch Mode. However I also feel any Leica rep should recognize the challenge and provide direct valuable use case, or future intended uses.
1/3 of the 3DR Touch webinar I attended involved elevator shafts. I cannot speak for everyone here, but that doesn't align to my use cases or future needs. If I can use an as-built model with the 2Go to find discrepancies of existing conditions in-field, with clear explanation of what is "Free", and what all real costs include, then that would be useful to me.
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

jsteinert wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:47 pm I appreciate the environment this forum provides, and appreciate even more the contributions of very knowledgeable and experienced members, many who are commenting within this thread.
Even with negative comments we get a differential on learned lessons, changing procedures and technology really NEEDS a forum to cut thru salesman angles with differential experiences.
I feel this topic rudely challenges a use case of Touch Mode. However I also feel any Leica rep should recognize the challenge and provide direct valuable use case, or future intended uses.
1/3 of the 3DR Touch webinar I attended involved elevator shafts. I cannot speak for everyone here, but that doesn't align to my use cases or future needs. If I can use an as-built model with the 2Go to find discrepancies of existing conditions in-field, with clear explanation of what is "Free", and what all real costs include, then that would be useful to me.
What I think this illustrates is that there are an increasingly large number of applications for laser scanners and some tools may not be appropriate for many users. Having dealt with Leica for a few decades now, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't develop touch mode without it providing enough value to enough users to return significant profit in a reasonable time frame. The fact that it isn't a useful tool in many or even most other use cases is neither here nor there.

I agree entirely that negative comments from real users that cut through the sales and marketing spiel add a lot of value, even where they do feel like a kick in the teeth for those of us on the development side. Positive comments are great too!
stutosney
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stuart Tosney
Company Details: ---
Company Position Title: Geospatial Consultant

Post by stutosney »

smacl wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:05 am
jsteinert wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:47 pm I appreciate the environment this forum provides, and appreciate even more the contributions of very knowledgeable and experienced members, many who are commenting within this thread.
What I think this illustrates is that there are an increasingly large number of applications for laser scanners and some tools may not be appropriate for many users. Having dealt with Leica for a few decades now, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't develop touch mode without it providing enough value to enough users to return significant profit in a reasonable time frame. The fact that it isn't a useful tool in many or even most other use cases is neither here nor there.

I agree entirely that negative comments from real users that cut through the sales and marketing spiel add a lot of value, even where they do feel like a kick in the teeth for those of us on the development side. Positive comments are great too!
And to add to your comment, it is also worth noting that Leica are not the only developers who have recently released this new type of software, there has been a sudden surge in very similar products and whilst they may be widely used initially, anyone keeping up to date with construction and technology innovation will realise that this will become ever more important for clients wanting to manage and reduce risks during the construction phase.
Mike Annear
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mike Annear
Company Details: Mike Annear
Company Position Title: 3D Modeler

Post by Mike Annear »

smacl wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:05 am I agree entirely that negative comments from real users that cut through the sales and marketing spiel add a lot of value, even where they do feel like a kick in the teeth for those of us on the development side. Positive comments are great too!
Thank you !
I spent several years as the tech support guy for a couple of well known scanning products, mopping up after the salesmen had promised the world to the customers :)
Mike
Mike Annear
www.mikeannear.com
QLD, Australia.
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe

Post by pburrows145 »

The point of showing 4 different case studies was to spark imagination and possible use cases... in essence, whatever your BIM inspection application, then touch mode provides a different, field-based approach to achieve this. BIM Inspection is the first workflow for Touch Mode, and I am always interested to hear what else you need! Just email me: [email protected]
Mike Annear
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mike Annear
Company Details: Mike Annear
Company Position Title: 3D Modeler

Post by Mike Annear »

Hi Paul,
Does Leica have a dedicated customer scanning support forum ?
I use Rhino 3D for Pointcloud modelling, this is what the support forum looks like.
I can usually get help within a few hours even though I am based in Australia.
https://discourse.mcneel.com/c/rhino/147
No-one on this forum is required to sign an NDA :)
Current Rhino license holders are encouraged to download and Beta test the next version of the software for free, then report back to the forum.
Mike
Mike Annear
www.mikeannear.com
QLD, Australia.
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe

Post by pburrows145 »

Mike Annear wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:08 am Hi Paul,
Does Leica have a dedicated customer scanning support forum ?
I use Rhino 3D for Pointcloud modelling, this is what the support forum looks like.
I can usually get help within a few hours even though I am based in Australia.
https://discourse.mcneel.com/c/rhino/147
No-one on this forum is required to sign an NDA :)
Current Rhino license holders are encouraged to download and Beta test the next version of the software for free, then report back to the forum.
Mike
That's great for you Mike - nice one.

Return to “Leica Cyclone 3DR”