V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: PDAL

Post by jedfrechette »

You'd need to benchmark your specific use case, but Python should be pretty fast. It's using NumPy so all your calculations can be done using their optimized C libraries.
Jed
cata
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Catarina Pereira Domingues Alh
Company Details: Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de
Company Position Title: Student
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by cata »

Hey! I'm trying to build a data base for a 3D point cloud, i'm using data in *.las 1.4 format with datatype format 7, and to give use to the postgreSQL extension pgpointcloud i'm using PDAL and wrote a very simple pipeline to "translate" the data in las format so that pgpointcloud could read it.
However whenever i run the pipeline i get a message in my conda command line as in the image attached ("Global enconding WKT flag not set for point format 6-10").
I'm using the software CloudCompare to classify my 3D point cloud.
Can anyone help me get around with this issue?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown

Post by badam »

cata wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:10 am Hey! I'm trying to build a data base for a 3D point cloud, i'm using data in *.las 1.4 format with datatype format 7, and to give use to the postgreSQL extension pgpointcloud i'm using PDAL and wrote a very simple pipeline to "translate" the data in las format so that pgpointcloud could read it.
However whenever i run the pipeline i get a message in my conda command line as in the image attached ("Global enconding WKT flag not set for point format 6-10").

The error message clearly says that the data format 7 is not compatible with pdal. Do you really need data format 7? Can you do it with user defined fields?
cata
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Catarina Pereira Domingues Alh
Company Details: Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de
Company Position Title: Student

Post by cata »

I need this format because i need a format that allows me to add on infomation, this format as 64-255 bits for User Definable wich i would be using to add information on the point cloud, i want to make a data base where i can describe the points according to the study i'm conducting
I wanted to know if there is a way of going arounf this issue
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by smacl »

badam wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:02 am
cata wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:10 am Hey! I'm trying to build a data base for a 3D point cloud, i'm using data in *.las 1.4 format with datatype format 7, and to give use to the postgreSQL extension pgpointcloud i'm using PDAL and wrote a very simple pipeline to "translate" the data in las format so that pgpointcloud could read it.

The error message clearly says that the data format 7 is not compatible with pdal. Do you really need data format 7? Can you do it with user defined fields?
At a guess format 7 is being used because you need format 6 or above for the extended classification data, see https://www.asprs.org/wp-content/upload ... _4_r13.pdf Formats 6 and above allow up to 256 classifications including user defined ones, lower formats have 16 predefined classes. Sounds like the PDAL LAS translator needs updating to better support this, it would be worth sending a change request to the appropriate mailing list or GIT page. From the LAS 1.4 spec
Point Data Record Format 6 contains the core 30 bytes that are shared by Point Data Record Formats 6 to 10. The difference to the core 20 bytes of Point Data Record Formats 0 to 5 is that there are more bits for return numbers in order to support up to 15 returns, there are more bits for
point classifications to support up to 256 classes
, there is a higher precision scan angle (16 bits instead of 8), and the GPS time is mandatory.
Python performs well given its ease of implementation, but anything gnarly that you're trying to multithread to optimize performance is better done in C++, where you can realise order of magnitude gains in some scenarios.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module

Return to “Open Source Software”