Mobile Mapping - FARO Open SDK

Discuss all Mobile Scanning related issues here.
rafacanelon
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Rafael Andres Canelon
Company Details: Orthoshop Geomatics Ltd
Company Position Title: Geomatics EIT and Sensor Operator
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Mobile Mapping - FARO Open SDK

Post by rafacanelon »

Good afternoon,

My name is Rafael Canelon. A couple of month ago I was allowed access to download the FARO LS Scanner/Scene developer SDK. Here in my company we are intending to use the SDK to convert our Faro LS Focus X330 into a mobile laser scanner by using it in helical mode while mounted on a vehicle. However, I was wondering if someone could shed a light on the FARO Open software. More specifically would like to have more information about the getAutomationTimeofScanPoint and the getAutomationTimeofSyncPulse functions since the documentation is a bit vague and confusing. My questions are:

1) What is the difference between the Automation Time of the scan point and the Automation Time of the sync pulse? The only difference I can see so far between the two is that one changes more often that the other.

2) What is the format of the time output of these functions? The "FARO LS SDK.pdf" document does not specify this and instead points to the "Automation Interface Manual". This Automation Interface Manual on pages 20 and 21 states that the automation time is in "extended UNIX time format for real time capabilities". It also says that the transformation from automation time (TA ) to UNIX time (TU) is given by the formula TU = TA /(10^6). Now, if UNIX time is defined as "the number of seconds that have elapsed since midnight Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) of January 1, 1970" (wikipedia), then we would expect that any scan performed today will have time stamps corresponding to this definition. However, this is not the case with any of the scan I have accessed through the FARO Open while using either one of the getAutomationTimeofScanPoint or getAutomationTimeofSyncPulse. Instead when taking into account the aforementioned transformation to convert between autimation time and UNIX time, I get time stamps that start around 250 seconds. This has led me to think that the two functions in question are just giving me the number of seconds that has passed since the scanner was last turned on. Am I correct in this?

If someone can get back to me with answers to these questions I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Rafael

Return to “Mobile Scanning”