Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Consultant
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Scanning Robots

Post by jcoco3 »

Yes I have, but I don't know how much "juice" it would take to charge (2) 12v 20Ah batteries with induction charging. My plan was to just mount the charger's plug on the arm and guide it to any nearby 110v receptacle at the end of the day instead of driving back to a dock. I do like the idea induction though for simplicity. I have a nice Roomba at the house and its ability to dock itself and recharge at the end of a scheduled cleaning is remarkable.
David Zip
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter
Full Name: David Zip
Company Details: 3D MobileScan
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by David Zip »

Thanks Jonathan, great bio of JANR - he attracted a big crowd at the Faro user conference!
It's a good idea to have a way to scan remotely for safety reasons due to say chemicals, dust, iffy structures. At a minimum, it's worthwhile to have wifi control for the Focus active and ready for use on smartphones/ tablets.
The Focus3D was designed with mobility possibilities. The Automation Interface http://bit.ly/1E0PbE4 and the ability to flip to helical laser capture means the Focus (and MX5) can create a fast moving robot. The ethernet port and support in Focus' SDK builds seamless menu control by laptop (or project boards).

The internet of things (IoT) is an important industry, so we're seeing more power built into control boards - like the Raspberry Pi 2 which will run free Win 10. The game console scanners and their software I discovered are 64 bit, so a step up to a board with a 64 bit processor would give the most flexibility.
The Asus Xtion scanner works with Faro Scenect. Registration in Scene supports more scan sources, I have to play with it.
The capability of scanning controllers has taken a jump with the Kinect gen 2 & its SDK 2.0 software (although not as supported as gen 1). The SDK encourages experimenting with its point clouds, meshes, stick men, voice commands....
bwiab
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Emilio Ramirez
Company Details: Metro
Company Position Title: BIM Supervisor

Post by bwiab »

These guys had a pretty cool and affordable drone package at ILMF last month. Their entry level drone could be had for +/- $12k with a HD camera attached. The also had an option to mount the Velodyne scanner on it.
bwiab
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts

Post by bwiab »

Also saw this at ILMF. Sanborn's SPIN for semi autonomous interior building scanning.

Designed exclusively for indoor mapping applications, the robotic Sanborn Platform for Indoor Mapping (SPIN) is a compact, easy-to-use, self-navigating system that generates preregistered spatial data in near real time.

jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jcoco3 »

Emilio, those are both pretty impressive :shock: I really like the fold up multi-copters, and that case is perfect for mobility. I want to say I saw the Spin in it's early development online somewhere. They state some pretty amazing global accuracies in their video, but I don't know enough about how it works to dispute them. It's just missing a finger to push the button in the elevator.

Found this old image of JANR's guts from when I first got it up and running. Wire Chaos :o
robot2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bwiab
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts

Post by bwiab »

Looks like fun! :D

After ILMF I was ready to start building my own drone, but unfortunately it's at priority 17 or so... We'll see. Cool robot! 8-)
Phil Marsh
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Phil Marsh
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Company Position Title: Director
Skype Name: phil.h.marsh

Post by Phil Marsh »

is this the future of laser scanning buildings....

youtu.be/M8YjvHYbZ9w
LASER SCANNING FORUM
[email protected]
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jcoco3 »

Oh neat, they are using a Velodyne scanner! I had not yet seen spot, but have been keeping up with big dog for some time now. I would say that it is still missing a finger to push the elevator button, but I think it would just take the stairs. For some reason I keep seeing a vision of this thing plowing through cubicles and glass doors, but it seems to have pretty amazing obstacle avoidance. Perhaps something a little smaller and less scary looking for scanning an occupied building.

That poor robot must have a "kick me" sign on it somewhere...always getting kicked :lol:
Matt Young
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matt Young
Company Details: Baker Hicks
Company Position Title: CAD-BIM Lead

Post by Matt Young »

I really think that laser scanning is the key to robots seeing things more accurately. Machine vision is quite advanced already when you consider simple things like face recognition. As the technology advances and robots can see more clearly they will learn. Infants learn by seeing things and making associations with objects, so will robots. This is moving so quickly now that I really do think some of us at least will see some kind of AI in our lifetimes. Scanning is interesting to this community because it's what we are invested in and enjoy doing. Robot's will be making huge advances in the next decade using this technology.

You might want to be able to kick that robot hound over when it's carrying full armament and chasing you down an alleyway!
If you don't see that there is nothing, then you are kidding yourself.
dtmcnamara
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: David McNamara
Company Details: Freelance
Company Position Title: Research

Post by dtmcnamara »

Now what would be amazing is if the bot could calculate on the fly where the next scan needs to be in order to capture 100% of a building, similar to how a roomba verifies coverage before shutting down.

Return to “Robotic Scanning Solutions”