dbianculli
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Davide
Company Details: LBNL
Company Position Title: Engineer

GEOMAGIC DESIGN X

Post by dbianculli »

Is anibody using GEOMAGIC DESIGN X? I would like to have some feedback: pros and cons of the software and how easy or difficult is the process to convert a point cloud dataset to a parametric 3D Cad model
ncdave
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Dave Bell
Company Details: Shape Fidelity
Company Position Title: Director of Commercial Operations
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: GEOMAGIC DESIGN X

Post by ncdave »

Hi dbianculli. I've spent many years using Geomagic Design X (formerly Rapidform XOR) and we currently resell it as well. I'd be happy to tell you its pros and cons and show you an online demonstraiton if you're really interested.

Here's a YouTube video of a basic introduction to Design X (again, it used to be called Rapidform XOR) from a webinar I conducted back when I was at Rapidform:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrET4FUUCxE

And here is just one example of a project where we used Geomagic Design X:
http://shapefidelity.com/portfolio-view ... ompressor/

Again, drop me a line if you need some help.

- Dave
geowac
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stefan Wachsmann
Company Details: scantaxi.de
Company Position Title: supervisor
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by geowac »

Hi,

I use Design X former called rapidform XOR, for many years, too!

Pro: if you are firm with Solidworks, ProE, Inventor, it's a fast and easy construction tool! You get parametric models which can be used extremely easy with the above noted softwares.

Con: if you never used parametric software, it's a hard way to make an model out of scan data!
Most time, point clouds should be less that
100Mio points! Lesser is better :( 20 Mio are best (64gb ram/4gb graphic/SSD)

There are tools for huge point clouds too, but a real surface could only be extracted from meshes...

For near distance scanners it's well suited, with long range scanners it's as difficult as with other software!

With near distance scanners I calculate one part scanning and 10 to 30 parts reconstruction depending to complexity of the model!
I did some ship models, but with long distance scanners only I was not satisfied - but improved by use of mid and short range scanners it was ok but time consuming! Most parts of cars or ships are under the resolution of long range scanners! Hulls are ok but details are not... Combination of different scanner types is the magic :)

Regards
Stefan

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk
raynonpo
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Sphantom
Company Details: Rapid Team Solution
Company Position Title: Application Engineer
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by raynonpo »

Pros: if you are dealing with extracting or recover scan data, this is a good choice since there is various feature such as boundary fit, auto surfacing, and regional group that helps the process.

cons: if you are trying to generate a new design, there are lots of constrain to deal with.
markus.ehm
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Markus Ehm
Company Details: DHPI
Company Position Title: division manager

Post by markus.ehm »

Hello,

we are using Geomagic Design X since a couple of month and did some models from Point clouds from HDS Scanners. It works fine but you need to learn how to use that kind of Point clouds in Geomagic as it was made for more precise data...

Best Regards,

Markus

Return to “Geomagic”