I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Bob Testa
Company Details: MRAS
Company Position Title: Team Leader - Materials Science

Re: Longtime Rapidform/Geomagic Employee New to Forum, Ask Me Anything

Post by rtestavt »

Hi Sean,

We have been using a FARO Edge arm to laser scan directly into Geomagic Control 2015. The software is easy to use and does everything we need from a post-processing perspective. Our company upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 last Fall and got new computers. Control 2015 still functions, but there is a lag when we are laser scanning. If I scan for 1 minute, it takes 5 minutes for the data to very slowly appear in Geomagic. I have not been able to get the system to crash, so no matter how much I scan, the data is being temporarily stored somewhere and slowly transfers. I've tried using a couple different computers and even a plain vanilla windows 10 computer that doesn't have the company core load and still have the same issue. No luck trying different FARO and Geomagic drivers either. I understand Control 2015 is no longer supported, but I'm hoping there is something in the back end of the software that can be adjusted to correct the data transfer lag.

Thanks in advance,

-Bob
JeffT
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter
Full Name: Jeff T
Company Details: Geospatial
Company Position Title: Engineering Technician
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by JeffT »

Literally ran into this exact problem yesterday with a new laptop. We have a FARO Quantum arm and the HD LLP head. What helped a little was disabling the onboard graphics card in device manager. It has a crazy high resolution of 3000+ x 2000+ and it downsamples it to a normal desktop size. It still lags but is at least "usable" for small objects.

This also happened a few years ago with a new laptop. We did fix it eventually, but no one can remember what we did. Other older laptops upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 still work fine. I definitely need an answer to this one too.
rtestavt
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Bob Testa
Company Details: MRAS
Company Position Title: Team Leader - Materials Science

Post by rtestavt »

It took a lot of trial and error but we were able to figure it out. Our Engineering laptops have two graphics cards. We tried disabling the onboard graphics card like you suggested, but it didn't make a difference. Although it is 'disabled', i'm not convinced it is completely turned off.

We work with a 3rd party that does scanning for us from time to time and we also bought our system from them. They do not have any issues running the same software as us on Windows 10. They made a comment the computers they use are like desktops that are built into a laptop platform. Since it is common for desktops to have one graphics card, we setup a generic windows 10 desktop with one graphics card and Geomagic Control now works. Scanning is back to normal speed. This is why I think the disabled graphics card on the laptop isn't completely disabled.

Hopefully this solution is repeatable for other users.
ScanO
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Jason Wepener
Company Details: 3D Pro Reverse Engineering
Company Position Title: 3D Pro Reverse Engineering

Post by ScanO »

Good Day. Please can you help me with a workflow with a mesh.
Is there a way to 'adaptively remesh' - to simplify the planar areas but keep detail around corners and features? As far as I understand, this is not just a mesh reduction by X percent, as one would lose the finer details?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3DSean
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Sean Parker
Company Details: 3D Systems Geomagic
Company Position Title: Senior Applications Engineer

Post by 3DSean »

ScanO wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:25 am Good Day. Please can you help me with a workflow with a mesh.
Is there a way to 'adaptively remesh' - to simplify the planar areas but keep detail around corners and features? As far as I understand, this is not just a mesh reduction by X percent, as one would lose the finer details?
Hi Scano,

Of course we can do that! Depending on the Geomagic product you're using, you'll want to find the "Decimate" or "Simplify" command (on the Polygons tab). DX, CX, Wrap and Geo for SolidWorks all have some form of curvature priority slider that you can find - when moved to the right (max) it will keep the triangles smaller in higher curvature zones while reducing the triangle count in flatter areas. Let me know if you have a tough time finding it!

Return to “Geomagic”