Texturing

Discuss RiScan Pro & RiSolve software here.
andrea1976
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: andrea
Company Details: CSM
Company Position Title: ADMIN
Linkedin Profile: No

Texturing

Post by andrea1976 »

Hi, I'm new and I want to submit an answer.
I found problems while texturing a triangulation of big data (church).
When I try to texturing about 650.000 triangle with about 250 oriented image and i try to visualize it, an error message compare (out of memory).
I know that is a problem of RAM (my pc has 4GB), but i don't know how I can resolve it.
Anyone can help me?
Thank's
Andrea
Garth
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Garth Archibald
Company Details: GNS Science
Company Position Title: Engineering Geological Surveyor

Re: Texturing

Post by Garth »

Hi Andrea,

Anybody who uses RiScan Pro will be very familiar with out of memory errors.
Closing and re-opening the project will release the memory so that the maximum RAM is available.
A TIN of 650K triangles should not be a problem but I have never managed to texture with more than about 20 images at once.
A solution may be to combine and re-sample your images at a lower resolution. Always a bit sad to reduce the quality of your data of course.
Are you sure you need all 250 images? Perhaps you can get full coverage with a subset?
Otherwise you may have to segment the TIN and texture the separate bits then combine.

There may be other software that will handle the large number of images?

Good luck and please post a response when you find a workable solution.
andrea1976
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: andrea
Company Details: CSM
Company Position Title: ADMIN
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by andrea1976 »

Hi Garth and thanks,
my work is an experiment: make an animation with RiScanPro of textured model.
With resample images is possible to texture the model but the result in not so beatiful like with an high resolution images.
Now I'm trying to do an animation with a colored point cloud but over about 40.000.000 of points is impossible.
I'm asking: if other softwares can manages and visualizes over 100.000.000 of points why RiScanPro can't do it?
I think that RiScanPro is a good software to manage little or medium data, otherwise you must re-sample the point cloud.
However I'll try to find a solution to make a good animation of the scanned church.
Thank's
Andrea
joe.3dlm
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Joe Beeching
Company Details: GeoSLAM Ltd
Company Position Title: Customer Success Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by joe.3dlm »

Andrea,

If you want to create an animation in RiScan Pro of a coloured point cloud, I would recommend creating an "organised point-cloud" from your polydata. This is a read-only version, which requires much less memory to view and manipulate.

You can define a "splat size", which is the "physical" size of the point if the point cloud were in the "real world" - you can choose a size similar to the point spacing, which will hide the gaps in the point cloud.

Anyway, if you create this organised point cloud, RiScan Pro should be able t handle it comfortably.

Incidentally, which version are you using?

Cheers,
Joe

Return to “RiScan Pro & RiSOLVE”