I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Yash Mane
Company Details: 3dtechnicians Pvt Ltd
Company Position Title: Business Development Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Which is the best software to create Topographical-surveys Modeling

Post by 3dtechnicians.com »

I always face problem to create Topographical-surveys
Can any one help us which is the best software to create Topographical-surveys in 3D Models :geek:
caddrafting2013
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Brad
Company Details: 3d scan
Company Position Title: Guru

Re: Which is the best software to create Topographical-surveys Modeling

Post by caddrafting2013 »

Revit!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

3dtechnicians.com wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:47 am I always face problem to create Topographical-surveys
Can any one help us which is the best software to create Topographical-surveys in 3D Models :geek:
It depends to a very large degree what market you're servicing and what formats they want their models in. You also have to ask whether you'll be solely using scanners and UAV and similar, or whether you'll be mixing in traditional survey methods such as total stations, traverses and networks, RTK GPS etc... Worth remembering for any decent sized topographic survey, you'll also need to establish control, and may need to deliver data in multiple formats possibly on more than one grid. While I'm entirely biased as this is my product, I think we're one of the best placed packages here with SCC, covering all the basis in terms of scanning and traditional survey. We've a bunch videos covering typical use cases here, and I've put a couple of relevant samples below (albeit slightly older)

youtu.be/VLzJl6hETPY

youtu.be/VOYeQM0oz5I

You're welcome to a trial license if it is of interest.

What might be a good idea is to put together a list of requirements and add a bit to your question, e.g. needs to be able produce data for AutoCAD, Microstation , REVIT, Google Earth, LandXML, Civil3d, MX, ArcGIS, 3DStudio, etc... Needs to support static scanners from these manufacturers, mobile LIDAR, UAV Needs to be able process and combine point clouds with total station topo, RTK GPS. Needs network adjustment. Needs to support transformations between these grid systems. Must be able compute sections, volumes, scan to scan comparisons, tunnel unwrapping. Once you've got your list together, look at what the different packages can do for you, and whether any single one will do or you need more than one.

An much as I love SCC, there's a lot of good software out there, so I'd also recommend getting trials of any of the packages that look promising. While all of this involves quite a bit of work, it is much better than ending up with a solution that doesn't meet your needs.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
3dtechnicians.com
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Yash Mane
Company Details: 3dtechnicians Pvt Ltd
Company Position Title: Business Development Manager

Post by 3dtechnicians.com »

Many many thanks to all to support me for this helps I will going to share this with my team....
And come to you for thanking

Have great day all of you
JLarson
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jason Larson
Company Details: VHB
Company Position Title: Geomatics Manager

Post by JLarson »

TopoDOT hands down. Revit is good for buildings, but has very little capabilities for topo surveys.
Jason Larson, PLS
hakkilhe
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Heikki Häkkilä
Company Details: Vitomittaus Oy
Company Position Title: Laser Scanning Manager

Post by hakkilhe »

I have always used Terrasolid's TerraScan and TerraModeler. I think TerraScan is very powerful for ground classifications, you get an accurate ground even in dense vegetation areas. Of course you need to have a high guality point cloud also. And there is an endless settings of parameters you can adjust for finding the best ones for certain type of area (or data).

And it's easy to handle big mobile mapping projects (> 1000 million points), you can divide your project to smaller blocks and then run needed classifications as macros for each block.
Heikki Häkkilä
Laser Scanning Manager / Vitomittaus Oy, Finland
heikki.hakkila[at]vitomittaus.fi / www.vitomittaus.fi
tomii7
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tomasz Gerlich
Company Details: OutPut Precision Ltd
Company Position Title: Director
Skype Name: tomek.gerlich

Post by tomii7 »

Hi,

You can try also LSS DTM software of AutoCAD Civil 3D.
-----
Best Regards,
Tomasz Gerlich

tomaszgerlich[at]outputprecision.com or tomaszgerlich[at]gmail.com
+44 7756613300

www.outputprecision.com - Reality Capture
www.realitycapture3d.com - Matterport

OutPut Precision Ltd, Manchester, UK
Dirkie2710
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Dirkie Uys
Company Details: Landpartners
Company Position Title: Surveyor
Skype Name: duaus
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Dirkie2710 »

hakkilhe wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:05 am I have always used Terrasolid's TerraScan and TerraModeler. I think TerraScan is very powerful for ground classifications, you get an accurate ground even in dense vegetation areas. Of course you need to have a high guality point cloud also. And there is an endless settings of parameters you can adjust for finding the best ones for certain type of area (or data).

And it's easy to handle big mobile mapping projects (> 1000 million points), you can divide your project to smaller blocks and then run needed classifications as macros for each block.
I agree. Terrasolid. Have a few macros to classify ground, thin the data if needed (1 point every 0.5m Horizontal or every 0.1m vertical). Create contours and trianle map, check for outliers, add breaklines where needed using mousepoint adjustments, travel path sections then add breaklines to triangle model. Check again that all looks good as it should on site. Export contours to DWG. Import to Revit. Topo from import instance. Done

Process take about 20min if minimal breaklines and area smaller than 500m x 500m. Works well for me
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Scott »

3dtechnicians.com wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:47 am I always face problem to create Topographical-surveys
This topic is relevant to many threads at the LSF involving AEC and scanning software. One of the major limitations and frustrations of BIM is the dearth of terrain modeling tools -as if the site itself was of little importance. Part of this is because of the separation of professions (architects, engineers, surveyors, etc.), where software is tailored to the specific needs of the particular trades. Liability concerns are also part of the mix. Everyone would benefit from land contour data, however, so it seems a glaring deficiency as far as productivity is concerned. We all need better ways of documenting site contour information. Revit is hobbled without a means of accurately capturing existing site characteristics, though it's widely marketed as the best platform for point clouds. "just buy the subscription bundle (forever)" we are told, and spend your life managing this cobbled mess of applications, tools,parts and rules. Towers aren't efficiently built by digital bab(b)el...
stutosney
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stuart Tosney
Company Details: ---
Company Position Title: Associate Director - Survey

Post by stutosney »

I would echo Tomasz, I have used SCC, LSS and even Panterra! LSS by DTM software is an excellent tool, they even updated it last year allowing the import of point clouds which you can model from, the user interface is excellent and their tech support is always extremely helpful. I would also add one of the biggest advantages of LSS is the cost, even when including the 3D Vision for point clouds it is very affordable.
Would definitely recommend you look into them.

Cheers,
Stuart

Return to “Building Information Modeling [BIM]”