Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

When GIS meets BIM

Post by Scott »

Worth reading:
https://www.aecmag.com/component/conten ... -meets-bim

"Autodesk produces some of the most popular design tools for BIM and civil engineering. Esri is the dominant force in Geographic Information Systems (GIS). Historically the areas have been poorly integrated and remained in very defined data silos. The reality is that all projects have a location and a co-ordinate and context is becoming increasingly important. Something had to be done to ease integration.

Revit was designed to define the geometry of 3D intelligent models and produce co-ordinated documents. It really was not designed for site development. In the Autodesk world topology was left to AutoCAD Map 3D (which is now a toolset included with Autodesk subscription) handled in authoring products like AutoCAD Civil 3D, or conceptualised in Autodesk’s relatively new Infraworks, which came from an acquisition. This means lots of layers of related data in different, uncoordinated systems. It’s here that GIS can really help to make sense of this important data.

GIS tools are designed to handle huge 2D, 3D and layered spatial data sets. They represent a single source to gather, manage and analyse project data and assets. Esri is a privately held Californian company that has dominated this space since 1969, with products such as ArcGIS. It has an estimated 43% of the GIS market; the second largest supplier has just 11%.

As we enter the era of ‘Big Data’ and projects grow in complexity and scale, Autodesk and Esri came to the conclusion that neither was likely to achieve this transformation alone, and could only accelerate community success by working with others. This meant better integration was needed with other leading applications." Article continued -see link above and this one: https://www.spar3d.com/blogs/all-over-t ... newsletter
Roger King
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Roger King
Company Details: USA
Company Position Title: Engineering Design Company
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: When GIS meets BIM

Post by Roger King »

Hello,

Amazing article.
This is really a nice article about the advancement in BIM. The development in this will encourage the professional to go ahead and try something new and keep learning new to meet or satisfy the market requirement and even to take the construction industry up to next level which will more precise, accurate and designed.

Thanks & Regards
Roger King
Cad & BIM Service

Return to “Building Information Modeling [BIM]”