I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Michael Howard
Company Details: Taratest
Company Position Title: Technical assistant
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Revit workflow

Post by Mick1978 »

Hi,
I'm pretty new to laser scanning software and I'm having a few issues with getting my point cloud into Revit and viewing it. Does someone have a simple explanation of the workflow I could use to
1.) bring a registered point cloud from cyclone into Recap
2.) Then take the Rcp file, put it into Revit
3.) View it in Plan views for modeling
** All while maintaining the existing coordinates of the point cloud*
Currently I can bring the recap model into Revit and view in 3d view but not in plan. I've tried many options including moving the project base point to some coordinates in the cloud but to no avail. Thanks
Simon Judd
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: simon judd
Company Details: Precision Air Surveys Limited
Company Position Title: Owner

Re: Revit workflow

Post by Simon Judd »

Michael

Firstly Make sure you are at some form of small localised coordinate system (truncated National Mapping) or local system.....Very Important!!!!

Then if you create a CAD plan (this can be very basic) to use as a shared coordinate file.

Import the cad plan Centre to Centre, then under manage tab/coordinates/aquire coordinates, selecting your CAD plan as the source.

you should see the Survey point in revit move but the project base point remains in the same position and should have coordinates relative to your point cloud.

then import pointcloud RCS/RCP files at shared coordinates. You cloud should now be in at the same coordinates, and visible in 3d view.

you will need to set up your Revit levels (Datums) relative to your site datum to allow for a Revit plan view to see it when cut.

Remember that the Revit Cut Plane and Bottom values in the view range are the only 2 elements that control the cloud thickness in a plan view

I hope that helps

Simon
Mick1978
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Michael Howard
Company Details: Taratest
Company Position Title: Technical assistant
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by Mick1978 »

Maltby
A few questions:
1.) By CAD plan I take it you mean a couple of lines (or points) in Autocad representing the position of the Recap model?
2.) Do I need to have Revit in the localised coordinate system (no idea how to change the system!) or just the recap model?

Thanks
Simon Judd
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: simon judd
Company Details: Precision Air Surveys Limited
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by Simon Judd »

Hi Mick

Yes just a few line to setup the coordinate system for acquisition it can be a simple circle in the middle of your site.

Regarding the Revit Model. Just start a new blank model and follow the process described earlier.

You are setting up the shared coordinate system to see the point cloud (CAD Plan required as you cannot acquire the coordinates from Point cloud without a plugin.

You can of course do all of this without a CAD Plan by moving the survey marker clipped to the o,o origin of your local coord system.

for example if you have a local system where E/W +500m and N/S +100m is the corner of a building, then moving a clipped survey marker in Revit by -500m E/W and -100m N/S should set up the same shared coordinate system.

but by far, acquiring coords is easiest as unless you fully understand Clipped and un-clipped Survey markers and Clipped and un-clipped Project base points you can get yourself in a whole heap of trouble.

Simon

Return to “Building Information Modeling [BIM]”