Customizing Scene Webshare Overview Map

3DUserNet, Cintoo, GeoSignum Pointer, Pillr, Pointbox, Pointerra, Pointly, PointSharePlus, Pythagoras, Potree, Vercator, WebShareCloud, Etc.
jayscanlon
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Jay Scanlon
Company Details: BLN
Company Position Title: Project Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Customizing Scene Webshare Overview Map

Post by jayscanlon »

Does anyone know if it is possible to customize the scene Webshare overview map. I would like to replace the Overview Tiff image or at-least overlay it with a floor plan. I have tried to just replace the Tiff image with one of my own, but it appears that the jpg. files & the png. images in the Map Folder constitute what the overview map looks like.
Any thoughts? Thanks, Jay
flohrd
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel Flohr
Company Details: FARO
Company Position Title: VP of Software Engineering
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Customizing Scene Webshare Overview Map

Post by flohrd »

Jay, the Tiff image is there for downloading purposes only so customizing this image will only alter the map image your users will be able to download. For performance reasons, the map is created by stiching the jpg tiles together for the current viewport on-the-fly, similar to google maps.

We have heard the request for a floorplan overlay or additional images and customized overview maps many times and it is on top of a long list of features we would like to add in the future.
jayscanlon
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Jay Scanlon
Company Details: BLN
Company Position Title: Project Surveyor

Post by jayscanlon »

flohrd, Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear its in the works.
bhohimer
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Bob D. Hohimer Jr.
Company Details: USLS
Company Position Title: Point Wrangler

Post by bhohimer »

Adding a custom overview map would be extremely helpful! There are many situations where the speed of orienting oneself in the scans could be beneficial. Another great idea would be the ability to overlay the map into Goggle maps or similar.

On another note, I am not a software developer, but does the Scene SDK allow for any mods to the webshare view? I have some interest in applying customizations for specific client needs/requests.
BDH
flohrd
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by flohrd »

SCENE 5.3 (currently in beta testing) will have the ability to add custom image based layers to the WebShare Cloud overview map (e.g. CAD Layout plans).
bhohimer
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts

Post by bhohimer »

Great news Daniel! On another note, is there any functionality in WebShare to connect the text tags to a third party database such as asset management database so that the db record is displayed within the webshare?? Does the sdk allow for any WebShare customizations? Also, one last question...without trying this out, do text tags show in adjacent scan location views if the point it is attached to shows in the neighboring scan, or do they text tags show in the overview map?
BDH
flohrd
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by flohrd »

In terms of database connection the answer is yes and no. WebShare cloud as it is today is in principle capable of displaying items from an external data base. We have an API that allows for a batch import of items for example as Annotations that can be placed in any of the scns in 3d (via API). We don't have an official documentation for that API ready by now but of course this documentation will be released at some point. The API is very stable at this point so we will go ahead and put some effort into this documentation to let every user get the maximum use out of WebShare Cloud by utilizing the API in addition to what you see in our Browser front end right now.

EDIT: Added this paragraph:
One quick example for you to test is https://websharecloud.com/project/. This will show you the API response for "Give me a list of all projects". The response is a JSON Array of all projects. Of course this respects authorization so you will only be able to see projects that you (with your user credentials) will be able to see in the front end as well. I am not going into more detail here but as I said above: there will be a documentation for all of this at some point!

In fact the front end that you see at https://websharecloud.com is using this API for all its operation already. So everything users can do in the front end (e.g. displaying a list of all projects) could be done via API in an automated fashion.
I cannot share any release date for this information yet but: It is on the list for sure.

Regarding the customization question: what kind of customization are you looking for?

Text tags (or annotations as we call them) do show up in adjacent scans. There is a setting for a distance threshold that users can activate (e.g. show all annotations within 50m) and annotations will show up only based on distance, regardless of the scan that they were actually created in.
We have a mechanism in place that will estimate the annotation visibility and render potentially occluded annotations transparent for better orientation. There are some restrictions to this with old browsers (for example IE9 that do not support some of the mechanisms needed to do this - If you are using Firefox or Chrome or IE 11 you are good).

Annotations also show up in the overview map of course.
You can click on any annotation in both the overview map and any panorama view and open it in a panorama view (this will open the scan that the annotation was created in and adjust the camera to focus on the annotation) or you can choose to show the annotation in the map (will open the overview map and center it over the annotation).

You can try all of this at https://websharecloud.com. The Chapel Bridge Project for example has a couple of annotations shared with the public so you should be able to test all this.
bhohimer
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts

Post by bhohimer »

Thank you Daniel! Good info. How much of this applies to Webshare Server as opposed to WebShare Cloud?
BDH
flohrd
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by flohrd »

It applies only to WebShare Cloud. The new platform that it is built on allows us to do many new things that are not possible with the architecture of the classic WebShare Server.
scankukai
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scan ku kaï
Company Details: Scankukai
Company Position Title: CEO

Post by scankukai »

Hello Daniel,

Regarding the overview map, I regularly have some remarks about the resolution. It would be great to have the choice between the basic overview map and a HD map, just like in the panoramic views. Indeed, it's very useful to measure areas and distances in the overview map, but the quality decreases very quickly when you zoom in. It's difficult to measure the width of a door for example.

One other frequent request from my customers (architects, building companies, technical services) is about the ability of saving the texts and the measurements, and this would be great for a collaborative work. They find that downloading the fws file and then open it in Scene is not convenient. Moreover, most of them don't use Scene because they still have old computers. WS could be a great tool for project management in case we can save all the texts and the links.

And yes, having several maps is a good idea, especially for multiple floors buildings.

Regards,
Yan

Return to “Web Based Software”