Solutions for indoor mapping

Apple iPhone & iPad, Artec3D, ASUS Xtrion, Creaform, DotProduct DPI-8S &DPI-10, FARO Freestyle, G0-Scan, Mantis Vision, Microsoft Kinect, Noomeo, THOR3D, ZEB1, viDoc RTK Rover etc.
Breezz
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: kristof
Company Details: none
Company Position Title: ceo
Linkedin Profile: No

Solutions for indoor mapping

Post by Breezz »

Hello,

I am working on a project to make 3D modoels of house/office interiors for real estate purposes and others.
I've mainly worked with the kinect v1 in combination with Scenect and ReconstructME. Scenect gives me the best results but it's not easy to scan an entire room (or floor!), and if you do manage to scan a complete room, a lot of times it's a bit out of shape (the walls lose their square shape).
With the kinect v2 comming out this summer, I was dreaming this would be a better solution. Unfortunately, according to the forum, Scenect isn't going to support the kinect v2 anytime soon. ReconstructMe on the other hand, is planning to support it asap. But the problem with ReconstructMe is that they don't aim for scanning rooms or floors, they like to do scan small objects or faces.

If I would ask you guys, what is currently the best way to scan a room or a floor of a house/office, what would it be? The matterport scanner can do this, but they ask a monthly fee and it's cloud based. Are their any alternatives?

Kind regarfs
3DForensics
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Eugene Liscio
Company Details: AI2-3D Forensics
Company Position Title: Owner
Skype Name: eliscio

Re: Solutions for indoor mapping

Post by 3DForensics »

Look at Artec Studio with the Kinect/Xtion sensors. You might want to ask if they will integrate the Kinect V2, but I can tell you for sure that their software is one of the best on the market and it currently works with all current versions of Xtion/Kinect.

Regards,

Eugene
Leap3D
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Bas Notenboom
Company Details: Leap3D
Company Position Title: owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Solutions for indoor mapping

Post by Leap3D »

If you want to scan areas bigger then a room, you should take a look at the handheld laserscanner ZEB1.
With PointCab you can easily make floorplans and cross sections. From those you can construct your 3D models.

regards
Bas

Return to “Hand Held Scanners”