What type of scanner would be preferable?

Discuss all Automotive Industry related issues here.
Kambu
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Tonis Vanaselja
Company Details: Amper Engineering
Company Position Title: CEO
Linkedin Profile: No

What type of scanner would be preferable?

Post by Kambu »

I am currently thinking about obtaining a 3d scanner for Various automotive part scanning needs.
I hope that somebody with knowledge about various scanner types can find the time to reply to me.

The parts to be scanned vary between car body panels and engine and various other car components.
I should be able to scan car body panels without altering the surface finish on them (Repainting them white for example).

Other than that I would also need to obtain software for making the CAD models of those parts.

I currently own a Romer 1.0 Infinite Arm. I recently asked for a quote on obtaining the Laser Scanner for that arm.
They offered me a scanworks V4 Laser Scanner for 34.200 EUR. Would it be wise to upgrade the Romer Arm or perhaps sell the arm and obtain a new one with a newer scanner?

I am also thinking about maybe just looking for a good used scanner, what is a good place to look (Other than Ebay) ?

Would scanners such as the NOOMEO work for my purpose? Will I be able to scan car body panels and recreate them with perfect fit?

I should add that currently for part modelling we use Catia V6 if that makes any difference.
Artec3D
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Anna Zevelyov
Company Details: Artec Group
Company Position Title: Director of Business Development

Re: What type of scanner would be preferable?

Post by Artec3D »

Hello Tonis,

Can you be more specific about what you need to scan? Except for the car exterior (will the car be new or used?) what else do you need to scan? Inside the salon? Inside the engine? Will you take the components out of the car or will you scan them while there are still in?

Take a look at Artec's free 3D model gallery. There is a scan of a carburator. There is also a video of how that carburator was scanned.

Artec, in collaboration with RevXperts is also about to launch a new product made specifically for scanning large objects with ease. Check out the little video we made during product testing. http://www.revxperts.com/index.php?id=1105

Artec scanners differentiate by size (size of object you want to scan). There is small, medium and large. To scan big parts of the car, you would need the L or M type scanner. To scan small, intricate things, you would get the S type scanner. The RevX+Artec solution allows you to scan even larger objects - such as a whole half of a car in about 10-15 seconds. But it also costs more.

If you need more information on these solutions and which one fits your needs, please email us as [email protected].
Kambu
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by Kambu »

There is no certain car I am going to scan. There are various projects the scanner would be used on. From recreating car parts for old cars where obtaining the original is not possible. And making new body panels for newer expensive cars. Also various parts for drag and road racing cars. Currently all those things are made by hand, but to get the highest quality with the shortest timeframe a 3d scanner would be ideal to use. We are also helping to build and engineer a carbon fiber monocoqued car from scratch. There are various parts that need to be fitted to the car and it would help us alot if we could just scan the pre existing parts.
There are some customers who dont mind repainting the whole car, but then there will be the ones who think it is insane to paint a car that expensive, and I share that point of view.
Artec3D
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Anna Zevelyov
Company Details: Artec Group
Company Position Title: Director of Business Development

Post by Artec3D »

Hello Tonis,

We can definitely help with scanning car parts (inside and out) for reverse engineering purposes. If you'd like, contact Artec at [email protected] and we can set up a quick skype video presentation for you. You can also contact our Finnish or Polish reseller (unfortunately, we don't have one in Estonia) and visit them for a live demo.

Generally, Artec scanners are quick, inexpensive, and intuitive. That being said, if you need 10-20 micron accuracy, you will need to look at more expensive scanners.
Kambu
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by Kambu »

Would like to add, that I have finally found and bought the scanner and software I was looking for.
I chose the Metrascan 3d scanner by Creaform, and Rapidform XOR to do all the post processing.

I find it a bit odd, that it was quite hard to get in touch with the retailers selling various scanners, I often had no response by email at all. In other cases the companies were too busy to give me a demo of the scanner. When buying something that expensive, I dont see myself buying a scanner without a demonstration first.
masimo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Maxim
Company Details: PromGeo - Industrial Geodesy
Company Position Title: 3d scanning engineer
Skype Name: massimo_XX
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by masimo »

Hi Tonis

Can you post some impressions about MetraSCAN 3D here? Seems to be quite an interesting system.

Maxim
Matt-Levine-73
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Matt Levine
Company Details: Consolidated Gulf Company
Company Position Title: Technical Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by Matt-Levine-73 »

Check this out, can't wait to find an excuse to buy one!
http://mantis-vision.com/
It may well be what you are looking for.

Matt
Jason Warren
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Jason Warren
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Company Position Title: Co-Founder
Skype Name: jason_warren

Post by Jason Warren »

looks interesting ;)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGo3hUbt39M[/youtube]
Jason Warren
Co_Founder

Dedicated to 3D Laser Scanning
LaserScanningForum
Kambu
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by Kambu »

I am fairly happy with the scanner, I believe I should have investigated the same scanner with 70mm laser line a bit more, since the 210mm one makes it a bit hard to scan smaller areas. The scanner does have accuracy of 0,1mm however, I find that it is near impossible to scan to this accuracy without very good surface preparation. It will take quite a while. In real life situations I dont think I will have the need to scan to higher accuracy , since I can probe the important surfaces with the included Handyprobe. Unfortunately I still havent received my whitening sprays, so I cannot post any pictures of scanning with the highest resolution.
I think the largest upside of the scanner is that it is possible to scan relatively large areas without having to do several scans. This eliminates the need to align the scans later on, and therefore does improve the overall accuracy greatly.

The following scans have been done without any surface preperation, and have been painted with glossy paint.
The scans are unedited, however I have edited out the tripod the helmet was standing on.
Shoei.jpg
Mr2 Uksepolster.jpg
I feel that I have quite alot to learn about choosing the right laser settings, and shutter speeds etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kambu
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by Kambu »

Heres something I did today, I tried to scan the car in 1 scan today, but simply did not have enough processing power. So I decided to do it in several parts.
I am now looking for a good portable workstation, that could handle all the files I might ever have to scan.
The scanner got slower and slower as I scanned, at first I thought that it is the scanners fault, but it became evident that it is the computer instead that makes it slower.

Return to “Automotive Industry”